|… one of the best shelling beaches in all of North Carolina where you can spend some time on your own shelling your way down the beachwith the Cape Lookout Lighthouse off in the distance. Shackleford is well known as one of the best shelling destinations on the East Coast. Among other things, you can find Conchs, Whelks, Queen’s Helmets, Scotch Bonnets, Olive Shells, Sand Dollars, and more.
>> Please read before booking this tour
The Wild Horse & Shelling Safari is a guided tour that takes place on a wild, yet beautiful, Island. There are no sidewalks or boardwalks on the Island, and the tour is of a strenuous nature. You will walk up to 2 miles over soft, deep sand, up and over sand dunes and through potentially muddy salt marshes. Additionally, be aware that the tour will take the group hiking into the interior of an uninhabited, undeveloped Island where access to medical attention is difficult and timely to arrange.
If you have any trouble walking, or have any pre-existing conditions that affect your health in a way that would make it difficult for you to handle the terrain and physical demands described above, or if it would be dangerous for you to be far away from the possibility of emergency medical attention, then this tour is not recommended for you.
Please be sure that all the members of your group are aware of the warning above, and the members of your group are not placed in danger by overestimating or overstating the abilities of the members of your group.
Reservations are Necessary | Call (252) 772-9925
CLICK HERE TO BOOK ONLINE
Additional Tour Information
- What do we need to Wear? You should wear what you would normally wear for a “Day at the Beach” - Many people like to wear their bathing suit so that they are able to swim if they choose. You will want to wear shoes that you don’t mind getting sandy or wet. We find that the best choices are sandals with a heel strap, Crocs, water shoes, or the equivalent. You probably don’t want to wear sneakers and socks, or any type of shoe with a heel. A hat is a good idea – there is very little shade on the Island
- What do we need to Bring? You are welcome to bring as much or as little as you like. Since you are able to spend additional time on the island after the tour, you are welcome to bring coolers, beach chairs, umbrellas, beach bags, fishing rods, etc… Many folks like to bring a picnic lunch and stay on the island for an extra hour or two after the tour to have lunch, spend more time looking for shells, go swimming, go fishing, or whatever else. Shackleford is a great place to spend the day relaxing and soaking up the sun. You should definitely bring some water. Other things to consider bringing: sunscreen, camera, binoculars, snacks, etc…
- What’s on the Island? It’s important that you know there are no concessions of any kind on the Island, so you will need to bring whatever you need to be comfortable with you.
- How long will we be on the Island? The minimum amount of time you will be on the island will be 2 hours. You will schedule your pickup time when you check in for the tour, and you are welcome to choose from any available pickup time throughout the day.
- Boats are fully US Coast Guard inspected & carry all the latest required safety gear.
- Our Captains are VERY experienced and friendly, and are always working to ensure your enjoyment & safety
- Parking is easy and free!
- Reservations are always necessary. Call or Book Online
- Operates on a daily schedule approximately during the months of June, July & August
- This tour will operate year round as long as we can reach a minimum number of guest. During the months between Labor Day & Memorial Day, please call to make arrangements
- Please be sure that you’re following the directions that were sent to you as the location for your departure may vary.
- For all tours with a departure time before 11am, you must cancel by 8pm the night before the tour so that we have a chance to fill your spots. If you don’t cancel by 8pm the night before the tour there will be no refunds available.
Location & Directions | Offering 2 Departure Locations to better serve you
- It is NOT an option to leave from either location. You must check in and depart from the location you are assigned by our staff. You MAY request a particular location, and we will do all we can to accommodate you.
- Please be 100% sure that you’re navigating to the correct location. You should have received the proper information in an email and/or text message.
You will be assigned a departure location by a member of our staff
PLEASE BE SURE TO PAY ATTENTION AND DON’T END UP AT THE WRONG DEPARTURE LOCATION